I am constantly amazed at what I manage to forget as I knit things. I was so absorbed, and pleased, with the mitered corners at the top of my buttonband, that I completely forgot to decrease the number of stitches around the neck. The result was an Elizabethan ruffle around my neck between the two lovely mitered corners.
So, I ripped out the button band short four rows and started again. This time I kept the mitered corners but remembered to regularly decrease the number of neck stitches over the next few rows. I'm still not completely pleased with the finish.
I love the fit of the neck but the edge of the buttonband feels a bit flimsy to me. Sort of like the edges of the Moderne Baby Blanket when I finish one. So, I'm going to add an i-cord border up the buttonband, around the neck and back down the other side.
I decided not to have buttonholes because I like the way the sweater sits without buttoning it closed. And, I like the popular way of using wooden picks to close cardigans. I will have a photo to show you once I finish the i-cord border.